I decided to just do a blog series about Produce48 contestants who have caught my eye and who I like since my documents are getting chaotic trying to keep track of the changes of which contestant I like from episode 1 and so on. This will be the first time I’m actually trying to get into a survival show, especially after what happened with Baby Kara and Sojin. (I still get a feeling of anxious when I’m about to mention her out of fear of getting her name wrong.)
For each of this series I’ll state which contestants caught my eye and give a top 12 in the episode I watched AND from what I’ve seen of them in previous episodes (minus episode 0). My opinions will be based SOLEY on what is aired on tv, so the clips on YouTube that was uploaded and isn’t in the show will not count.
Isn’t this going to be biased? Don’t you know some of these contestants?
The only contestant I’m familar with before watching this show is Lee Kaeun. And the bit of information I know about her is tiny. So, I’d imagine my bias will not be as skewed compared to those that are more familar of the contestants than I am.
I would like to say again, this is just my opinion. So, let’s get started!
SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!
SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!
Who Caught My Eye
(in no particular order)
Choi Ye Na [Yue Hua Entertainment]. She ranked A in this episode. Her speaking Japanese and doing a soda imitation trick is what caught my attention.
Kim Shi Hyun [Yue Hua Ent] I’m sure there will be many who read this that are familar with her due to being in Produce 101. I’m curious about what she’ll bring to the table this time.
Kwon Eunbi [Woolim Ent] I think there must be some mistake here, maybe I got her mixed up with someone else but in my notes I put down: “Brought Korean learn book.” that was it nothing more or nothing else. She ranked A.
Lee Chaeyeon [WM] Her singing “Shower” by Beck G made me interested in her. That and her group performing the song was her idea. She ranked A.
Yamada Noe [NGT48] Her highly energetic personality really stands out and I’m sure I’m not the only who is interested in here due to that. She ranked C.
Na Go Eun [Rainbow Bridge World] I was surprised by her vocal skills. I was also surprised that when I commented “steady voice” while watching, Soyou also said it. Yay! My first agreement with a trainer. She ranked A.
Park Hae Yoon [FNC Ent] Her performance for Little Mix’s “Power” was amazing and she rightfully got an A.
Kim Do Ah [FENT Entertainment] I didn’t get her company name and I honestly I had to look it up after this episode. The fact that she, herself, requested to freestyle dance interested me. Her looking like Kim Sohye was interesting too but it was more of an after thought. She got A.
Hwang So Yeon [Wellmade Yedang] Like Kim Do Ah, I also didn’t get her company name when I watched the episode and had to search it up later. When she freestyled Sunmi’s “Gashina” it really caught my attention, that and the fact that she was a Sunmi lookalike.
Wang Ke [HOW Entertainment] When I first hear the few seconds of the song I was so happy. I thought it was going to be Oginome Yoko’s “Dancing Hero (Eat You Up)” but it turned out to be Celeb Five’s “Celeb Five” which is a comedic sort of cover of it. Quite funny and quick history lesson but Oginome Yoko’s “Dancing Hero (Eat You Up” is a cover of a British singer Angie Gold’s song called “Eat You Up” (from the albums Applause). Wang Ke’s overall facial expressions, performance and presence really caught my eye. She got B rank.
Takeuchi Miyu [AKB48] I couldn’t believe, that Takeuchi Miyu’s group did this song RIGHT AFTER Wang Ke’s. Except this was the song that I was hoping for the most, Oginome Yoko’s “Dancing Hero (Eat You Up)”….well kinda. She perfectly rearranged this song and her voice was amazing! It’s not every day you see an idol with rearrangement skills-ESPECIALLY a J-pop idol. She absolutely deserved A rank.
Goto Moe [AKB48] Her performance was the saddest, just the fact that she lost her voice and could not sing due to allergies. The performance she gave was good though! But she had to get an F for not singing and that bothered me. I understood the judges reasoning for doing that. But still…I wished so much for her to be able to rise up so fast.
Iwatate Saho [AKB48] She caught my eye just for being in the “Dancing Hero” group and her performance was good. The entire group consisting of Goto Moe, Iwatate Saho and Takeuchi Miyu was amazing that I kept replaying the performance. She got a B.
Lee Ka Eun [Pledis] I remember Lee Ka Eun from After School. Unfortunately ,she did join in 2012, well after After School’s debut, then ended up trapped in Pledis dungeon shortly after. She sat in that dungeon watching a group like WJSN getting debuted and having release after release. She deserved her A and I hope to see sides to Ka Eun that I wasn’t able to while she was in After School.
Top 12 for episode 1
There’s 14 contestants that caught my eye this time. So thanks to it being so close to the number of 12, it was a bit tricky to make a top 12-I somehow managed it. Is there some regrets and am I stuck between certain members being in certain spots? You bet! Rankings 1-3 and 12 were the easiest, the ones in between not so much.
Top 12 ranking was made with: https://produce48.github.io/
Why these rankings?
1. Takeuchi Miyu, her rearrangement skills and her vocal skills is why she is at #1.
2. Park Hae Yoon, she can be given some vocally challenging lines.
3. Lee Ka Eun, she has experience. It shows that she has experience too and I’d like to see her be in a group where she doesn’t just get dungeoned. Maybe have her be the dancer of the group?
4. Lee Chaeyeon, she can also be given some vocally challenging lines and perhaps give some input for concepts that’ll match the group well.
5. Na Go Eun, she can be given some vocally challenging lines.
6. Kim Do Ah, the way she just intiated something herself is a characteristic that I feel can be used in a group like this.
7. Kwon Eunbi, she can be a vocalist.
8. Iwatate Saho, she can be a vocalist.
9. Wang Ke, very memorable facial expressions.
10. Yamada Noe, in an actual group I feel like she would be good in the role of being the variety star/skilled member.
11. Choi Yena, As a girl that can speak Japanese I feel like she can bridge the gap between Koreans and Japanese members. Her soda trick is also shows a glimps of how good she’ll be on variety shows. Having her and Yamada Noe as the variety members will make it so the variety won’t fall solely just on one member and they can both represent the group as the Japanese and Korean variety role members.
12. Goto Moe, I went with the judges on this because she didn’t sing I had to put her here.
I know this Top 12 lacks a dancer, visual, rapper and a face of the group. I’m hoping in the next episodes I’ll have contestants that catch my eye that can do that.